The secret of making porcelain was discovered in this country by the gifted scientist Dmitry Vinogradov, who also set up the first factory to produce it. He established a laboratory to obtain the necessary composition for the paste, the glazes and the paints used for decoration, to develop the technology and train the craftsmen. Vinogradov managed to produce a sufficiently white and translucent porcelain with a glaze that did not separate from the paste in 1747, using exclusively Russian mineral resources. From the many different materials tested, the choice fell on “Chernozemka” clay from the Gzhel area south-east of Moscow and Chebakul clay from Orenburg province on the southern edge of the Urals, quartz from Olonets in Karelia and gypsum from Kazan. In 1752 Vinogradov wrote the first scientific paper in Europe on the technology of porcelain-making: “A detailed description of pure porcelain as it is made in Saint Petersburg together with an indication of all the processes involved”.
Place of creation:
Manufacture, workshop, firm:
Nevskaya Porcelain Manufactory
Entered the Hermitage in 2002; transferred as part of the collection of the Museum of the Imperial Porcelain Factory