The St George (Large Throne) Hall in the Winter Palace was created in the early 1840s by Vasily Stasov who followed the compositional approach of his predecessor, Giacomo Quarenghi. The columned hall with two tiers of windows is finished with Carrara marble and ormolu. Above the throne dais is a bas-relief of St George slaying the dragon. The great imperial throne was made in London to a commission from Empress Anna Ioannovna (by Nicholas Clausen, 1731-32). The hall has a magnificent parquet floor made from 16 varieties of wood. The grand decor of the hall accords with its function as the setting for official ceremonies and receptions.