• Ecstasy of St Teresa

    Artist:
    Bernini, Gian Lorenzo. 1598-1680
    Dimensions:
    47 cm

Bernini, Gian Lorenzo. 1598-1680

Ecstasy of St Teresa

Italy, 1640s

Bernini was commisioned by Cardinal Federico Cornaro to produce a large marble sculpture for the altar of the Cornaro Chapel in the Church of Santa Maria della Vittoria in Rome. This terracotta is a model for the final marble, which was executed in 1644-47. It shows the ecstasy of the Spanish nun Teresa of Avila (1515-1582), author of 24 volumes of writings containing descriptions of her visions and who was canonized in 1622. One of her most famous visions was that which formed the basis for this sculpture, in which an angel pierced her heart with an arrow of love for God. The small rough model captured the sculptor's first idea and we can still see traces of the excited and energetic touch of the sculptor's fingers. The skilful moulding of the dynamic folds of drapery and the expressive facial features reveal the complex spiritual sufferings of St Teresa.

Title:

Ecstasy of St Teresa

Place:

Date:

Material:

Dimensions:

47 cm

Acquisition date:

Entered the Hermitage in 1919; transferred from the Academy of Fine Arts Museum

Inventory Number:

Н.ск-619

Category:

Collection:

User collections including this work of art: