• Designed View of the Royal Castle in Warsaw on the side of the Vistula. Plate E

    Artist:
    Kubicki, Jakub. 1758-1833
    Technique:
    pen and ink, watercolour
    Dimensions:
    30,2х51,8 cm

Kubicki, Jakub. 1758-1833

Designed View of the Royal Castle in Warsaw on the side of the Vistula. Plate E

Poland, circa 1818

Title:

Designed View of the Royal Castle in Warsaw on the side of the Vistula. Plate E

Place:

Date:

Material:

Technique:

pen and ink, watercolour

Dimensions:

30,2х51,8 cm

Acquisition date:

Transferred to the Hermitage from the Stroganov Palace Library through the Museum Fund

Inventory Number:

ОР-44937

Comment:

In the 1740s, in the reign of the Polish King August III, according to the architectural concept of Gaetano Chiaveri, the construction of the Royal Castle wing in the Late Baroque style on the side of the Vistula was finished; in the 1750s, at the foot of the castle hill facing the bank, a long two hundred metre long outbuilding was constructed. The ground floor of the outbuilding is preserved in the building structure known today as Kubicki Arcades. The drawing represents the terrace design, which serves simultaneously as a sustaining wall for the slant and a foundation for the landscaping of the upper garden located on the slope. A massive single-tier vaulted structure incorporated in the plan of a very elongated rectangle (197×22) is covered with an earthly terrace. The construction required extraordinary costs, but on the other hand Kubicki Arcades offered a perfect solution to the challenging tasks of town-planning significance - designing the front of the castle which looks out on the Vistula, and the exit to the river through the garden. Finally one could get a ‘spectacular view of the most beautiful part of the city which, according to contemporaries, afforded ‘a most splendid panorama of Warsaw’ [Szafrańska, Bogdanowski 1994. S. 191]. Apparently Kubicki's project proposed building not just ‘a wing on the side of the Vistula’, as it is referred to now, but in fact the new front façade of the classical-style Royal Castle in Warsaw on the side of the Vistula’, with a flat roof, a balustrade, a flat dome in the centre and two risalits.The delicate and exact architectural graphics of the façade combines with slightly monotonous groups of trees (Comp.cat. 115). In the foreground is the depiction of the edge of the consolidated river bank with a metal fence and convenient stair steps leading to the water. Comments by Valery Shevchenko

Category:

Collection: